Friday, February 8, 2013

PHOTO(s) OF THE WEEK (Week of 2/3/13)

PHOTO(s) OF THE WEEK
This week I am featuring several photos of my great-grandmother, Piza Turenchalk Oschip.  Piza was born to Gregor or Hryc (Harry) and Katherine (Kata) Turenchalk.  She was born in Jablonki, Poland on November 5, 1904.  Piza and her mother came to the United States through Ellis Island on November 17, 1907.  They arrived on the ship "The Seydlitz" which originated from Bremen.  The Turenchalk family settled in Dixonville, Pennsylvania.  Piza was the oldest of seven children. 

She was married to Demetrius "Metro" Oschip on September 16, 1916 in an arranged marriage.  Piza was only 12 years (nearly 13 years) old.  Piza had her first child, my grandmother Mary Oschip, at age 13, on September 17, 1917.  Piza and Metro had another 10 children between then and 1937.  Piza passed away in April of 1977.

These pictures came from albums my grandmother had at her house and my aunt recently let me go through.  I assume all these pictures were taken in Clymer or surrounding areas.  If you have any other information regarding these pictures, please don't hesitate to let me know!



 

2 comments:

  1. The first picture of Piza is definitely taken in Clymer, Pennsylvania. My Aunt Jolene lives there now in the exact house.
    My Great Aunt Mary told me a story about Piza coming over on the boat with her mother Katherine. She said Katherine came over with Piza, and Harry was already in the States waiting for them in Idamar, PA. When they were on the boat they were fed spoiled food. Mary mentioned cottage cheese. People did get sick on the boat with a virus and they were put on rafts out to sea. They didn't want anyone else getting sick. I guess Piza was sick and Katherine hid her in her skirt to conceal her being sick. I don't know how much is really true, but Mary loved to tell stories and told me this more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have heard this story too! I do have the manifest from Ellis Island showing that both Katherine and Piza were originally marked as "sick" and then admitted at a later point. That is neat to hear confirmation for other family sources on the story---I am a cynic until I hear it from several sources. Thanks for sharing---and confirming where the picture was taken!

      Delete